- Drop off after 8:10 am and pickup by 3:40 pm.
- We offer a Before and After School Care program for care from 6:30 - 8:15 am and/or 3:30 - 6:00 pm. Information and fees are available in the sidebar or under the Student Life section.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the kindergarten schedule?
- Kindergarten students attend full days 2-3 days per week. We have Monday/Wednesday and Tuesday/Thursday classes with alternating Fridays.
- A calendar with specific kindergarten days will be provided.
How many students are in each class?
- Class sizes area dependant on enrolment.
- We typically have 2 classes of each grade but on occasion have added additional classes when required.
- We do have a maximum number per class for each grade:
- Kindergarten is a max 1:17 ratio.
- Grade 1-4 has a maximum of 25 students.
- Grade 5-9 has a maximum of 27 students. Elementary grades often have lower ratios for their math and language arts classes.
- Grade 10-12 has a maximum of 28 students (but high school classes tend to smaller based on enrolment).
Do we need to be Christian to attend HCA?
As a faith-based alternative program, there are expectations that students and families are in agreement and aligned with our mission, values, and Statement Of Faith. We do require a Pastoral Reference to apply. It is a privilege to partner with families and churches to inspire students in developing Christlike character as they love and serve others through their love and service to Jesus Christ.
When is chapel and can parents attend?
- We run on a 6-day rotation and chapels are every Day 5. This means that there is usually chapel each week.
- Chapel times on Day 5:
|Grade 4-6||9:30 am to 10:00 am|
|Kindergarten - Grade 1||10:30 am to 11:00 am|
|Grade 2-3||11:00 am to 11:30 am|
|Grade 7-9||11:45 am to 12:15 pm|
|Grade 10-12||2:36 pm to 3:06 pm|
- Parents are welcome to join us for chapel. We just ask that you sign-in at the main office and wear a visitor tag while you are in the school.
What do students do for lunch?
- Many students bring a lunch with them and we provide community microwaves for students to warm-up meals if needed. We have a hot-lunch program supplied by Leroy’s Catering. You may choose to purchase lunch just once a month, or everyday as needed. Leroy provides a lunch menu each month and payment is made directly through his website. Students in Kindergarten and Grade 1 eat lunch in their classroom. All other students eat in the cafeteria during their designated lunch time.
- Lunch time schedule:
|Kindergarten||12:30 - 1:00 lunch||12:05 - 12:30 recess|
|Grade 1-3||12:10-12:30 lunch||11:45 - 12:10 recess|
|Grade 4-6||11:45 - 12:10 lunch||12:10 - 12:30 recess|
|Grade 7-9||12:15 - 1:10 pm|
|Grade 10-12||12:28 - 1:11 pm|
- Sr High students may leave campus for lunch as long as they have permission from a parent/guardian. Parents are sent a permission form to sign at the start of each school year which permits Gr. 10-12 students to leave throughout the year as long as permission is on file.
Is HCA a uniform school?
- Yes. HCA is a uniform school and families are responsible to ensure that students are wearing proper uniform and that pieces are in good condition. All the information about what to wear at HCA and where to buy uniforms can be found in the current family portal on this website.
- The cost of uniform varies depending on grade, gender, optional pieces, and availability of suitable used uniform sale items. Typically, uniform costs are in the range of $200 - $400. The more pieces you want, the higher the expense (options include hoodies, blazers, multiples of the same piece, etc.).
Do you provide bus transportation?
- No, we do not provide busing. Parents are responsible to arrange transportation for their children.
- We are able to provide a carpool list of parents who are interested, but it is up to parents to make arrangements.
- Calgary Transit bus stops that are closest to the school are for route numbers 57 and 33.
What does the athletics program at HCA offer?
- Extracurricular athletics are available for students in Grade 7-12.
- School teams are offered depending on student interest and may include: football, cross-country running, volleyball, basketball, badminton, curling, track & field, and soccer.
- Junior High (Gr.7-9) - CISAA 2J and High School (Gr 10-12) - classified 2A within the ASAA
Are parents required to volunteer?
- We do not have mandatory volunteer requirements, but we do appreciate the support and partnership of parents. There are so many opportunities to be involved and partner with us as we support your children’s education. From classroom field trips to more consistent roles, your time and expertise build into the success of HCA!
How much does it cost to attend HCA?
- There are additional fees required from families attending HCA. These include a society membership per family and Alternative Program fees that support the faith-based programming and the expenses associated with owning and operating the facility.
- See the Fees section below for the current year's fee schedule/
- We ask families to provide a refundable bond to provide additional equity as well as ensure that any outstanding annual fees are received. We are flexible with payment of the bond as we do not want this to be the determining factor on whether or not your family attends HCA. The balance of the bond monies are refunded to each family when your last child graduates or if you leave the school for any reason. Additional school fees as established by Palliser Regional Schools include activity fees and vary depending on grade level and optional courses chosen. The fee schedule is provided to each family from the main office and payments are accepted through the school cash online tool.
Is there financial assistance to help cover school fees?
- We have a financial assistance program for families who have attended HCA for a minimum of one year. There is a comprehensive application for financial assistance and the value of assistance is dependent on demonstrated need and the availability of funds. We make every effort to provide flexible payment options, especially regarding the refundable bond.